Administration of Estates Attorney
The McQueen Law Firm provides a broad range of probate matters and administration of estate services including the administration of estates lawyer services to individuals and their families in Spartanburg, Greenville and the throughout the Upstate of South Carolina. If you have lost a loved one, the probate process and the administration of estate can be complex to navigate. We can help to minimize the burden and provide legal representation through this time.
What is Probate?
Probate is a court proceeding and the judicial process by which a person’s final debts are settled and legal title to property is formally passed from the descendent to his or her beneficiaries and heirs. The probate process is initiated in the county of the decedent’s legal residence at death and the person named in the will as the executor will be in charge of completing the decedent’s affairs. The executor will collect and distribute the assets. In the absence of a will, someone must petition the court to be appointed as the administrator and perform the same function as an executor.
Probate steps the administrator or executor is responsible for:
- Petition to appoint Executor (in the case of a Will) or Administrator for the estate;
- Obtaining court approval of the named personal representative;
- Validating a will, if there is one, and resolving will contests;
- Filing of a petition with the proper probate court and all notification requirements;
- Resolving probate litigation or trust litigation as it arises;
- Collecting assets, inventory and appraisal of estate assets by Executor/Administrator;
- Preparing final inventory and estate administration closing documents;
- Closing the estate;
- Notice to heirs under the Will or to statutory heirs (if no Will exists);
- Payment of estate debt to rightful creditors and disputing creditor claims as necessary;
- Sale of estate assets;
- Preparing, filing, and paying estate taxes;
- Final distribution of assets to heirs;
A Trusted Partner – Probate & Administration of Estates Lawyer Services in Spartanburg & Greenville, SC
We understand that matters involving probate and the administration of estates are personal and are time-sensitive to the individuals and family members involved and we are committed to helping you navigate through the complexities of the county and South Carolina probate laws, rules and procedures.
McQueen Law Firm | “A Trusted Partner” | Serving the State of South Carolina Since 1985 | Spartanburg County | Greenville County | Anderson County | Cherokee County | Union County